September 19, 2017

Work In Progress: Hitchhiker by Martina Behm

Sometimes when I look at a skein of yarn I know immediately what I want to knit with it.  Check out this gorgeous skein of Gauge Dye Works Merino Twist Fingering  (80% merino 20% nylon) in the colourway All Together Now.

Gauge Dye Works Merino Twist Fingering
When I set eyes on Gauge Dye Works newest colourway I loved it.  I knew that I wanted to knit a pair of vanilla socks to showcase the yarn. 

Colourway:  All Together Now
I cast on 56 stitches and started knitting the socks top down.  However, once I got a few inches into the sock pattern, I realized that the stripes were rather larger than I had anticipated, and I was not happy with how they were turning out. I decided that I was going to do something else with this yarn, as it was too pretty not to choose a pattern that I loved. 

After searching through Ravelry I decided on the most basic of patterns, a Hitchhiker by Martina Behm, which an astounding 27 960 people have knit. This shawl is so popular for a number of reasons.  The pattern is an easy to knit garter stitch shawl, works beautifully with any yarn, and creates the perfect shaped shawl.  The pattern allows you to use every last bit of yarn so none is wasted.  This is my mindless knit that I can't wait to finish. I am so happy with how it is turning out.

Loving my Lykke needles

The dyeing in this yarn is fantastic.  How the dyer goes back and forth from colour to colour so seamlessly fascinates me.

If you are interested in ordering your own skein of this beautiful yarn you will find it at Knit City in Vancouver next week.  Otherwise sign up for Gauge Dye Work's newsletter so you can find out when their next Etsy sale is.  Now back to my knitting : )

Happy knitting everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished dyeing yarns with my guild and am looking for a pattern to show them off, this might be perfect. I love how much better the shawl showcases the yarn than the sock does! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete