October 30, 2016

F.O. Georgetown Cardigan and Some W.I.P.

Pattern:  Georgetown from Home and Away
Shawl:  Line Break
Designer:  Hannah Fettig 





Yarn:  West Yorkshire Spinners 100% Bluefaced Leicester DK 6.5 skeins


Colour:  Natural Brown
Needles:  4.5mm and 3.75mm for ribbing
Notes:  
1)  I really wanted a cardigan that I could snuggle into during the cold winter months.  The long range forecast in Ontario is for a very cold winter. Whatever happens I will be ready with this cozy cardigan.  I started this cardigan at the end of February and then put it away and didn't touch it until a few weeks ago. Then on my long trek to Rhinebeck I got a big chunk of it done.
2)  Hannah Fettig's pattern gives the knitter two options:  either seamed or non-seamed.  I decided to go with knitting the pieces flat and then seaming them together.  I find seamed cardigans are much more structured and the small pieces are manageable to cart around and work on.  Sometime ago I knit Hannah's Calligraphy cardigan, seamless from the top down, and I find that it continually falls off my shoulders.  I don't know if that has to do with the lack of seaming, but I am sure that it has some connection.  I also wanted to work on my seaming skills, and with this kind of yarn, it was great for hiding any mistakes.




3) I bought this yarn a few years ago on a wonderful trip to Scotland that I took with my family.  Isn't it fun to knit with yarn that you associate with good memories?  The yarn smells so sheepy too, which I love and has a lovely halo. It blocked beautifully and resulted in a very warm DK weight sweater.  It would be perfect for hats or mitts too.  Here's a child's hat I knit with this same yarn:

Gray Rose:  by Thea Colman

4)  The pattern is well written and easy to follow.  To be honest it was a bit boring, knitting all the rows of stockinette, and then 8.5 inches of ribbing for the collar.  However, I knew that it would be totally worth it, as it is one of those wardrobe staples that will get a lot of wear.



On the Needles:

Now that my cardigan is finished I have a number of items that I need to turn back and focus on. 

Antler Mittens by Tin Can Knits knit in Madelinetosh Chunky in the colourway Smokestack.  
I love the way the cables are popping on these mitts that I am knitting for a Christmas gift.  As suggested by Espace Tricot's blog I am going to knit a liner for them.  Anyone that lives in a city that has temperatures that drop down to -30 degrees Celsius knows that liners are essential to keeping warm.


Lanterns by Sylvia McFadden knit in the luxurious Sweet Fiber Yarns Cashmere DK.  As this pattern is written for a fingering weight yarn I have to adjust the pattern and figure out which needle size to go with. I started using a 4mm but I stopped because I wonder if I should be using a 3.75mm.  I have to play around with it for a bit, but I am anxious to get this gorgeous pattern done.


I hope you are all finding time to knit too!  Have a great week everyone and thanks for stopping by.

25 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cardigan! I picked up some yarn for a sweater at Rhinebeck this year, a lovely natural grey, and was planning another pattern for it. But perhaps Georgetown might work even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie! Ever since I finished Georgetown I have worn it quite a bit...I don't think you will be sorry : )

      Delete
  2. Oh what a beautiful cardigan, and definitely worth the miles of stockinette for something that is so very wearable - in the nicest possible way, it looks like something that you would buy from a posh clothes shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carie...what a lovely thing to say! You have totally made it worth the miles of stockinette by saying that.

      Delete
  3. That sweater looks so cozy! Loving all your knits here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sweater looks so cozy! Loving all your knits here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful cardigan, I love the yarn you chose for it! Looks so cozy and perfect. That hat you knit as well- nice call no the small pops of bright turquoise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Julie! It's going to be my go to sweater this winter.

      Delete
  6. I love that cardigan! Actually all of your knits look lovely :-) Those mitts, so pretty! And I am trying to ignore winter...although it is quickly arriving here in Maine...I'm not ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I'm not ready either especially after such a hot summer here.

      Delete
  7. All your projects are so so beautiful! I am in love with the cardigan - so simple and cozy. Love that you chose the seamed version, I used to hate seaming, but as I started creating projects on my knitting machine, the seaming was unavoidable, but over the time, it grew on me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alina! This yarn was perfect for hiding the seams...they are not too noticeable.

      Delete
  8. I love that cardigan! It does look like a boring knit, but the end result is well worth the boredom. And the hat.... I LOVE the pop of blue in the hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a boring knit you're right! That ribbing at the end almost killed me. Ha ha!

      Delete
  9. Such beautiful work! I absolutely love that sweater! I live in Florida, so I don't know how often I'd get to wear it, but I just might have to knit it up anyways!

    If you're interested, I'd absolutely love to have you link up at my weekly Yarn Fanatic Party. This week's can be found here: http://www.thephilosopherswife.net/2016/10/yarn-fanatic-party-67.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful cardigan, it looks so cosy with that lovely collar. I like the look of your cabled project too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like the kind of sweater that I could practically live in. Let winter come!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your knits and yarns are a treat to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You succeeded at all levels! That sweater is so cozy!!! And the hat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete