|Slade: by Michele Wang|
When I started my blog two and half years ago I cheekily named it Woolercoaster: the Ups and Downs of a Knitter. Up to now I have mostly shared my knitting successes with you, but today I need to discuss a fail. When I originally blogged about Slade, a Brooklyn Tweed pattern, that I had knit for my son, I admitted to you that I was not happy with the sleeves. I wished for some expert knitter to appear in my life and magically tell me what I should do to fix them. I still am not sure where I went wrong. Although the body fit well, the sleeves I knit were a total fail. See what I mean?
Following the well written pattern by Michele Wang, I knit the original sleeves from the cuff up, and then seamed them into the sweater. All I can tell you is the sleeves were ridiculously huge. I attempted several times to rip back and reknit the upper sleeves and reseam them, but to no avail. I knew in my heart of hearts that if I truly wanted my son to wear this cardigan, I would have to reknit the sleeves from the beginning.
I don't really know anyone with tons of experience in this area so I was left to my own devices. I put the sweater away and finally got the courage to look at it last weekend. I decided to rip out every stitch of those sleeves and start again. Using 5.0mm needles I picked up 60 stitches around the armhole and proceeded to do a set-in sleeve, using a previous cardigan pattern (Capall Dubh), that I had knit before, as guidance.
I am trying hard not to think of all those hours I spent on the sleeves and just focus on how much better the cardigan looks. The great thing is my son is so appreciative and loves handknits, so I foresee him getting a lot of wear out of this sweater.