September 21, 2014

Autumn Knitting: Julie Asselin

I love this time of year.  The air is getting crisper and suddenly everyone is need of a knitted item to stay warm.  Yarn shops are full of yarn just waiting to be bought to help knitters survive the fall and winter ahead.  And as for the patterns....everyday new patterns pop up on Ravelry...there are so many that I am adding to my knitting queue daily. 

In the spirit of autumn, I had to do my knitterly part, and so this weekend I visited a yarn shop called Lettuce Knit located in Kensington Market in Toronto. 

Fun spider web outside Lettuce Knit

 If you are a tourist travelling in Toronto and want to get your hands on yarn by Canadian dyers this is the place to go.  This yarn store really focuses on promoting Canadian yarn and carries such brands as Ancient Art Yarns, Biscotte and Cie, Yarns of Rhichard Davrieze, Handmaiden, Indigo Moon, NBK and my current favourite, Julie Asselin, to name a few.  Have a look at Julie Asselin's Colorways page to get a sense of her extraordinary sense of colour. Lately patterns using her yarn are popping up on Ravelry.  One of my favourites is the Campside shawl by Alicia Plummer, a free pattern using three skeins of Julie Asselin Leizu DK, a 90% merino and 10% silk blend.  Another popular pattern using this yarn is a gorgeous sweater called Poivre & Sel.  Also a new pattern that can be downloaded for free (for a short time only) is First Crush, a cabled cowl by Kalurah also knit in Leizu DK.   The very popular shawl pattern, Spinel, by Paulina Popoliek has the most gorgeous lace panel knit in a fingering weight yarn called Fino (75% merino, 15% cashmere, 10%silk).

As you can imagine I had a hard time deciding, as seeing the colours in person made it even more difficult.  Here's what I purchased: 

Merlotto (lace weight) in Coraline

Nanos (fingering) in Blood Orange



Piccolo (fingering) in Plume




The colours are so vibrant


Lettuce Knit has samples of all the yarn colours Julie Asselin creates and will order any colour you require.  The yarn, at this time, is not available online from Julie Asselin's website but can only be purchased through stores that carry the line (there are a few online stores as well).

If you are in the market for some yarn to carry you through the months ahead and are in the Toronto area, or just passing through, go to Lettuce Knit.  You won't be disappointed.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Christine! thanks for your post and the lovely photos of gorgeous yarn! If I had come across this myself, I'm pretty certain I would have bought it as well! What will you make from it? Maybe a cowl or a shawl? (Thanks for all the links!)
    PS: That spider and web are very cute and colourful!!!
    Happy knitting!
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ingrid! I find it very hard to resist beautiful yarn like Julie's. I think the lace yarn will definitely turn into a shawl and as for the others I am not sure yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous yarns! And I adore that rainbow spider and web, so cute. Lettuce Knit is a really great store, they have been in Kensington for ages, and every time I'm there I always pop in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how she is promoting Canadian dyers too. : )

    ReplyDelete