March 15, 2014

Off the Needles: Brickless & Easy Folded Poncho

I have a couple finished objects to share with you.  First up is my version of Brickless by Martina Behm.  I used Tanis Fiber Arts Red Label in OOAK called Fjord.  I have alway been a big fan of Red Label.  It is extremely soft and blocks well.  Plus Tanis is an expert at colourways and, as you can see, Fjord is a lovely combination of blues.  I was able to complete the whole project with one skein which is always a bonus.  This pattern was very enjoyable to knit as the pattern kept changing every few rows.  I also love the length of this shawl....you can wrap it around your neck several times.



Brickless
Brickless:  preblocking

The magic of blocking

Second up is my Easy Folded Poncho which is basically one large rectangle knit in stockinette. When I first started this project I planned on knitting a few rows every day so I thought I would be done by the time the spring weather arrived.  Well my husband took these photos of me during yet another snowy day in March.  We had a good laugh as the snow kept blowing in my face and I kept squinting in most of the photos he took.  However, I have hope that the spring weather will arrive and I will actually be able to wear this lovely poncho without freezing.  I cannot say enough about Juniper Moon Herriott yarn.  I kept squishing the yarn as I knitted this poncho and so it took longer to complete than it should! I think this was one of those pattern/yarn combinations that goes well together.  When I put the poncho on it is warm, and yet light, perfect for the spring weather.  Churchmouse Yarns and Teas have recently come out with a Version Two of this pattern.  It really interests me too as I find this poncho very wearable.  If you have a copy of the original pattern you can download it for free from the Churchmouse Yarns and Teas website.

Easy Folded Poncho


The snow was blowing around me

I have been off on holidays this week and have had the luxury of a week with no big commitments.  I had time to organize my yarn stash (how did it get so big?), my favourites on Ravelry and plan a few future projects.  I really want to knit a few cardigans but I am nervous about picking a pattern and matching it with the appropriate yarn and gauge.  I have knit a few cardigans in the last few years that have not fit me as well as they should.  Have a great week and hopefully spring will spring upon us soon.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful FO's! I love seeing the one of a kind colourways knit up into such gorgeous projects. Fjord looks great! I wish I had kept a skein for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanis! That means a lot coming from you.

      Delete
  2. ooh, that poncho looks so cozy and warm, and the shawl is stunning- nice score on the OOAK, this is the perfect pattern for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! It is so exciting for me to have you and Tanis commenting on my blog...you made my day.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Monica...now if only the weather would warm up.

    ReplyDelete